T G Green Raisins Caddy
An early T G Green Cornish Kitchenware Raisins canister dating to the 1920s - 1930s. The "Raisins" typography is a good example of early typeface, and the jar is of a particularly large size. It bears the early Church Gresley stamp to its base and is marked "Green & Co Ltd Gresley England" - see image.
The blue and white striped Cornish Ware by T. G. Green is recognised as one of the most classic and enduring designs of twentieth century kitchen pottery. Established in 1864 by Thomas Goodwin Green, when he purchased the Derbyshire pottery of Church Gresley, T G Green potteries started out by manufacturing utilitarian kitchen and table-wares for local demand only.
The classic blue and white banded design was born as a result of the economic recession that followed the First World War. With factory workers in their white earthenware division down to a two-day week, further projects were urgently required. The result was Cornish Kitchenware, or Cornish Ware, as it became known.
The banded Cornish Ware was created by dipping the unfired pottery in blue slip and then turning each piece on a lathe to remove bands of the slip, revealing the white body underneath. A clear glaze followed to make them watertight and suitable for kitchen use. It was named after the Cornish clay that was used in the making of the first pieces, a set of E. Blue jugs in 1922. The clay was brought to Derbyshire, as it helped "stick" the blue slip, the range initially being called E. Blue - Electric Blue. The idea of blue and white stripes representing the Cornish seaside was only used in advertising from 1949, and is a purely romantic idea that it gave birth to the Cornish Ware name.
Year of manufacture: c.1920
Diameter 12cm Height 17cm
Condition: a good clean exterior, with some nibbles/chips to the underside of the lid; along with a very small firing fault and glaze fault to the outside of the lid - see images.