Egg Dispatch Box
A very handsome 1920s egg travelling box, once used at Ewart Hebdish South Somerset Poultry Farm, Martock, Somerset, UK - as stamped on the lid. All four side panels and the lid are stencilled "Eggs", and various extra stamps, as shown in the images. It has a bracket hinged lid with carrying handle, reinforced metal trim corners, and a hasp. Inside the lid it still has its original maker's paper label, applied by the "Dairy Outfit Company Ltd, Kings Cross, London N1 - Headquarters in England for all Dairy Appliances", who supplied three types of safety egg boxes. This one is the "Cushion Patent" egg box, which is stamped on the front and rear panels.
It would have been used to transport eggs from the countryside to market or to fulfil an order placed by a private house.
Year of manufacture: c.1920
Material: stained varnished pine, 3-ply and steel
Condition: there is small bit of damage to the ply on one side of the lid, yet this only adds to its character - see image. It has some old woodworm holes, yet the worm has been treated and is no more.