Winsor & Newton Ltd Bottle
A rare Victorian Winsor & Newton bottle manufactured by Doulton Lambeth with strap handle and bold utilitarian nineteenth century typeface "Winsor & Newton Ltd Rathbone Place London W". It is part of a private collection, which we have recently purchased - all of which we now offer through our online store only (see images).
Founded by John Doulton and John Watts in 1826, the Doulton Pottery first traded from Lambeth High Street, London, alongside other potteries, which all benefitted from their Thames riverside location. Doulton & Watts main output was the mass production of utilitarian salt glazed stoneware vessels, and by the 1830's they were also producing acid resistant stoneware chemical vessels, along with architectural terracotta wares such as chimney pots and roof tiles. Pottery was the main packaging material for anything liquid – and the Winsor & Newton bottle by Doulton offered here, would have most likely contained ink.
Country of origin: UK
Date of manufacture: c.1900
Material: glazed stoneware
Dimensions: Height 16cm, Width 10cm